Welcome to Stamford Bridge Chapel

We are holding a vertual service

in the Chapel on

SUNDAY 4th October 2020

at 11.00am.


Our Chapel was built in 1828, some 75 years after John Wesley preached in a barn at Stamford Bridge.

The building cost £586.00. In 1898 the Superintendent issued a worrying appeal for money: Stamford Bridge Chapel had fallen into decay. The floor had dry rot, the roof leaked, the walls were discoloured, the paintwork dirty and the stove and stove-pipes worn out!! The estimated cost was at least £50. The money was raised and the Chapel was closed for three weeks, during which the repairs were carried out.


On 3 November, 1908 the foundation stone was laid for the Schoolroom and Vestry and these were opened by Mrs Agar in 1909. The Schoolroom was flooded in March, 1947. In 1987 it became a Grade II listed building. The Schoolroom and Vestry were flooded again in 2000 and the Schoolroom flooring was replaced.

Despite all these setbacks, the Chapel remains an important part of the fabric of the village. The Schoolroom is a popular venue for meetings, Coffee Mornings, etc and we have a dedicated group of 'friends' who support us generously. With a building of this great age there is an on-going need for fund-raising for repairs as well as continuing with the charity giving which we do on a regular basis. To this end we invite you to drop in on our Coffee Mornings which are held on the third Saturday of the month from 10am to 12noon. Details of our Sunday worship are provided in The Link magazine. You will be very welcome.

Here you can find out details about events that are held at our Chapel, the dates and times of services taking place and also take the opportunity to listen back to previous services too.

Latest Bible Reflection

A prayer

A prayer for those who will be hit particularly hard by the current crisis:

  • We give thanks for those who volunteer to help the poor and vulnerable across our communities.  We pray for those who are unable to carry on at present due to their own vulnerability, and ask God to raise up new volunteers to take their places.  

  • We pray for those who use foodbanks and other food distribution schemes, and for those who now may be using them for the first time after losing work due to the coronavirus crisis.  We pray that these projects will have sufficient supplies and volunteers to continue their vital work.

  • We pray for those who are facing redundancy or struggling with reduced income due to the current situation.  We pray as well for those who are working long hours, often for little pay, to keep shops and services going.

  • We pray for those who use Carecent, particularly those who have no home to go to and who are particularly vulnerable to illness.  

  • We thank the God who healed beggars and cared for outcasts that he sees and cares for each one of us, whoever and whatever we are, and that he will be with us through our difficult times.


Previous Bible Reflections